social

Facebook Twitter Blogger Pinterest Instagram You Tube

menu

home about contact newsletter faq advertise

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

OMG! My Baby swallowed a pin!!!

OK, so it wasn't my baby, but it did happen.


My best friend's nephew swallowed a straight pin a few years back. And, believe it or not, after all the worrying, praying, and trips to the hospital, the thing passed without complication. How amazing is that??? I mean really, think about it. Have you ever seen a photo of an infant's intestines? Not exactly an easy path for a sharp object to make it's way though!


I'd say it's a miracle it made it through with no problems! So why am I writing about this? Because it's actually very common thing, and I recently had a scare myself. All of a sudden it was a little too quiet in the house. You know that feeling, when you realize something bad must be going on somewhere because it's way too peaceful. Well, I walked into my sewing room, and there was my 10 month old, sitting on the floor, holding my pin cushion and looking really guilty. I swept her mouth and sure enough, out came one of my glass head pins. SCARY!!!

I think maybe part of the problem is that every pincushion I own looks like a yummy piece of food. I need to go buy this lovely zombie eye pincushion from Morbidnotions  so that the pins don't seem quite so appealing.


And don't think kids are the only ones in danger. Pets frequently eat the darn things too. I even almost swallowed a pin myself. I was sewing away, loading up my mouth with pins because my pincushion was out of reach and suddenly I had to cough, but it was one of those ones that's proceeded by a gasp in...and in went the pin. It came up fine, but it sure scared me because it really was a close call. I recently bought a magnetic pin dish which I'm loving, although I'm not sure this will solve any problems. I've also thought about buying one of those magnetic wands to pick up those pesky pins and needles you hear hit the floor but you can't seem to track down, but I'm just not sure it would really be worthwhile.

Check out this photo of a grown man who swallowed a pair of scissors by accident. Apparently he was trying to clean his teeth with them when a friend told him a joke, causing him to laugh and inhale the scissors!


Or take a gander at this beauty! This kid loved him some safety pins!!! And apparently he only liked the open variety. GEEEZ!!!


Well, now that I've scared you to death, go lock your sewing room doors and hold your babies tight! And send your best sewing room nightmares to  robin@createkidscouture.com for a chance to be featured in an upcoming blog. I'd love to hear from you!

I gotta go!!! It's suddenly a little too quiet around here...


2 comments:

  1. I just found a pin in my baby poop. I was so scare. I hope everything is ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found a pin in my baby poop. I was so scare. I hope everything is ok

    ReplyDelete